HOW TO START YOUR VERY OWN SKINCARE ROUTINE
A consistent skin care routine is an essential step in achieving healthy skin. With the gamut of information on the internet (and everywhere else!) however, starting a skincare routine personalised towards our needs can be a confusing quest. A proper skin care routine can be very easy to implement, just read on to find out!
Why do I need a skincare routine?
A good skin care routine isn’t just pure vanity: having well hydrated and clean skin can help prevent skin issues and ensure our skin is well protected. A four-step routine is a good way to ensure all your skin care concerns are covered.
START YOUR MORNINGS RIGHT!
A morning routine should be focused on preventive care.
Step 1: Cleanse Skin
We can start off using a gentle cleanser to cleanse our faces of any accumulated debris and excess product over the night.
- Dry – Normal Skin: Those with dry skin to normal skin can consider using a gentle but moisturising cleanser such the Phyris cleansing milk. This milky cleanser has silk proteins and rice oil, making it the ideal choice for dry or slightly sensitive skin. The milky cleanser removes make-up without stripping the surface of our skin.
- Oily Skin: Oilier skin types can consider using a gel cleanser or the Skin Origin Gentle Exfoliant Cleanser. The Jojoba beads exfoliate while moisturising skin at the same time.
Step 2: Apply Toner
After cleansing, using a gentle toner like the Phyris Hydro Tonic can give our skin a boost of hydration and prep our skin for the next step — moisturising.
Step 3: Moisturise
Some skip moisturising in the morning with the impression that it is only necessary to moisturise at night. This is untrue. As our skin gets exposed during the day and battles the harsh weather, wearing a light day moisturiser can help to ensure our skin is at healthy hydration levels.
- Dry – Normal Skin: Phyris Hyaluron Sensation Cream offers timed release of moisture-boosting hyaluronic acid to provide lasting hydration throughout the day.
- Oily Skin: Oily skin types can opt for Skin Origin’s lightweight Epi Gel. This gel not only moisturises but also helps to restore damaged skin barrier, working hard to soothe the irritated surface of blemished skin. After moisturising comes the most important skincare step of the morning, sunscreen.
Step 4: Sun Protection
We all know the importance of wearing sunscreen — it not only protects our skin against harmful rays and the development of skin cancer, it is also the most powerful protectant against anti-aging and unwanted melanic spots. However, not all sunscreens are created equal. We should always choose sunscreen with broad-spectrum protection against UVB and UVA rays.
Insist cosmetics’ Lamellar Sun Protector Essence not only provides the highest protection against UVA rays, it also protects against blue light with lutein. The sun protection essence also contains various natural ingredients as honeysuckle for added antioxidant protection. The unique Lamellar technology helps to repair compromised skin barrier and keep the skin moisturized.
Ideally, we should also reapply sunscreen every two hours. But how many of us forego this, finding it troublesome to reapply sunscreen over make-up? Colorescience’s Brush-on Powder Sunscreen has broad-spectrum protection with SPF50. This is a great option for those who find it a hassle to reapply sunscreen throughout the day.
After sunscreen, you’re all set and ready to take on the challenges of the day.
NIGHT TIME: RELAX AND REPAIR
At night, your skin care routine should be focused on repairing. Take this time to give your skin the TLC it needs.
Step 1: Remove Make-Up
Ensure your make-up is thoroughly but gently removed with an effective make-up remover. The Skin Origin Cleansing Milk removes all traces of make-up without drying skin.
Step 2: Cleansing
A foam cleanser such as the Phyris Foam Cleanser doesn’t just ensure your face is fresh — the jojoba beads ensure that any excess sebum is removed without over-exfoliating. Together with moisturising ingredients, this is great for every skin type without over-drying or being too greasy on the face!
Step 3: Toner
At night, use a toner to ensure your face is fully cleansed and to prepare for the next step of skin care. Skin Origin’s Gentle Toner temporarily lowers the skin pH below its normal level, and this allows for increased penetration of serums and moisturizers. Evening Primrose oil enhances the overall skin health with its anti-inflammatory properties and aloe vera provides a calming, soothing effect.
Step 4: Serum
Using a serum at night is a great way to ensure you get those actives in a concentrated form while you sleep. They also serve targeted skin care needs depending on your skin concern. The Phyris Time Release series has up to six serums targeted for different skin care concerns, regardless of age. The Vitamin Flash, containing vitamin C and Qo10, is a popular choice due to its antioxidant effect.
Step 5: Moisturizer
At night, use moisturising creams that are nourishing to help restore the skin. Using a richer cream can provide our skin with the full range of benefits while we sleep. For oilier skin types, a moisturizer formulated for oily skin can provide the full range of benefits without worrying about shine or clogged pores.
- Oily Skin: Phyris’ Derma Control’s Skin Sebo Balance Formula provides balancing care for oily and troubled skin types. For more mature skin, the Perfect Age Cell Lift from Phyris provides smoothing and lifting care at night, while activating the cell renewal process that slows down as we age.
- Dry to Normal Skin: For people looking to have silky smooth, baby soft skin, the Hyaluron Sensation Caps, also from Phyris is a great way to bolster the skin for days when your skin needs that extra moisturising boost or during dry weather.
Step 6: ZzZZZzz….
Recuperate with that much-needed beauty sleep after a hard day at work.